So, in a rare change from my recent “normal” pattern, I’m actually getting a YOP update in place ahead of the new week! Yay me! Cuz, well, I’m writing this on Saturday afternoon rather than scrambling through it on Sunday for once. I’d like to think it’s a new normal but somehow I’m just not that optimistic. For now lets just take what we can get, shall we?
So I have another finish to report and I am very excited about this! The Peerie Flooers Mittens have tormented me but they’re done. Have I explained this quirk I have where I love mittens, love wearing them, love especially wearing them after I’ve knitted them. Love them most of all when I’ve spun the yarn that I’ve used to knit them. But here’s the thing. I HATE knitting them. I don’t necessarily know why. I know I despise thumb knitting because it’s a fiddly little pain in the butt, especially in this case where it’s a colorwork thumb with SEVEN different colors in it over the course of 24 stitches and about as many rows, but I tend to stick it out because I love wearing my own hand knit mittens enough to get through it. And really, colorwork mittens inside a week isn’t such a huge sacrifice, right? But you’re going to have to wait for a photo shoot of the finished product. Cuz first off, to do them justice, they really do need to be photographed with the matching hat. And that happens to be on it’s way to Michigan at the moment. Probably the mittens will be, too, by Monday, which brings us to the other reason why- they’re a sample for a friend’s website scheduled to launch around Labor Day. SO I think I’ll do a grand reveal when I can link it up to all the important details of where you, too, can get the product that’s turned into these wonderfully cheerful items for the pending Season of Doom!
Hat and mittens out of the way now I can dive into the rest of my plans for August. Sadly we’re on the short side of the month which means I probably won’t knock out epic numbers of WIPs beyond the large frog pile I’ve already accomplished, but the hat and mittens had to take priority. I do plan to make an effort to clear out the WIPs over the next bit of time, though, because it turns out I just don’t like having so many of them sitting around. So stay tuned and lets see how I do!
Now for the update:
Carry Overs from my first YoP:
Movie Socks- Cast on in 2013, Frogged 8/11/13 I did not like them, Sam I am. The yarn just wasn’t great to knit with and if I’m honest, the fit wasn’t so great, either. So this particular skein of Regia is either going to be RAKed or head to the blanket box.
- Elphaba the Sequel
- Semele- Cast on 5/27/13, passed the half way point and onto the decreases but still a good way to go
- Epic Blanket of Insanity I suspect by the time you read this the EBI may be feelin’ a bit more loved as I’ve really had the itch but scarf first. I think.
New and Exciting
- Derecho- Cast on 7/1/13, I made it through a few more rows on this one but still in section 5. It’s resting while I work on the deadline projects
- Sock Monkey for A
- Sock Monkey for O
- Circle Line for G
- Circle Line for S
- Deep Blue Sea for Orville- These might need to get some love soon cuz Orville’s given his notice. OOPS, shouldn’t a waited so long…
- Deep Blue Sea for Jennnnnnnnifer
- Ursula Cardigan- I think I’ve finally amassed enough yarn. I need to dye my three contrast colors and will write this up as my OWL for the fall Harry Potter House Cup term.
Peerie Flooers HatCast on 7/28/13, Finished 8/4/13 This is sorta stealth right now. You’ll get a full photo rundown and gush over the fiber turned yarn nearer to Labor Day Peerie Floores Mittens- Cast on 8/6/13, Finished 8/17
- Stella Luna
Bring Out Your Dead (WIPs)
Deranged Dad Socks.Started August 2012, Frogged 8/11/13, Lets talk about Intartia. It’s… interesting. Not something I really love. I think it would have been better on a flat project, but sometimes I learn things the hard way. I really didn’t love working on this one and when I looked at them again this weekend during a stash room clean up project, I honestly didn’t love the look of them, either, so I frogged it. Here’s a tip if you’ve never frogged intartia- don’t. It probably wasn’t worth the effort. It’s as much of a pain in the ass to unknit as it is to knit. But I did it. I think I’ll make a pair of stripy socks with all the little bits I now have wound on bobbins. But not now.
aster Egg On Acid Socks- Found the first sock, never started the 2nd, don’t remember the pattern and don’t care to find out cuz it really isn’t such a great one. The balance of the yarn has made it into the blanket box and the sock that was finished, well, I think I’ll wear it around with other random socks that lost their mates. While not technically frogged, I’m considering it off the list.
- Fishnet Socks- These have seen some actual work time this week. Turns out I was right on my initial assessment that they’re a fiddly pain in the arse even without the cable needle so it’s entirely possible they may end up with a fraternal twin instead of an identical. We’ll see. First thing’s first, gotta finish the first one!
Knitting Basket Socks #1- FROGGED 8/11/13. Knit this onto circulars so hubby could try them on, didn’t fit him. Fit me great but was 2 inches too long in the foot so frogged it. Ahhhhh.
- Knitting Basket Socks #2- Still need to assess this one and decide if it’s salvageable or not. I know I’ve dropped and picked up a lot of stitches in the years it’s been in the basket so the jury’s still out on this one.
Clog Socks- Frogged Car Socks- Frogged 8/11/13 Another pair with yarn I didn’t love. Which is dumb because I knew I didn’t love it when I started knitting it. Love the softness and the color transitions of Mini Mochi, don’t love it as a sock yarn so this one bit the dust, too
- Merlia Scarf- Back into active knitting status. I have to decide how many more repeats I want to do on it but if I remember correctly, it doesn’t take a ton of time to whip through a repeat (Gotta love worsted weight scarves!) so maybe, just maybe, I’ll get this bad boy off the needles and reclaim my Signature size 6s this week! Fingers crossed!
Shawl Test Knit- Frogged 8/11/13. Just wasn’t feeling this one so I’ve reclaimed the yarn and will come up with a different 2 colored shawl for it. Lambton-Frogged 8/6/13This one wasn’t technically a WIP. It’s a sweater I knit last year that just didn’t work out. The pattern is still lovely to look at but it just isn’t lovely to wear. Not even a little. I think I knew when I first finished it that eventually I was going to frog it as I didn’t even bother weaving in most of the ends. But I love the yarn and I just couldn’t let it go to waste so I’ve reclaimed all 1200 yards of it for another project at some point.
At some point I hope to move the WIPs list to the bottom because they’re DONE. But for now I think I’ll leave ‘em right there
Except for Quidditch. Cuz QUIDDITCH! BUT I will stick to the 1-2 night project goal. Or knit squares for my EBI because that project needs to feel some love, too, gosh darn it! And won’t I skip with the weight of all these WIPS off my shoulders!
Original list: 18 projects
Full Disclosure List: 30 Projects