There was just no way I was going to let another Sunday go by without a proper update, especially since it’s the end of the year, middle of the YOP year and a good time to take stock in my list, the progress that’s been made, the stuff that just isn’t going to happen, make a few changes, whatever seems right as we hit the gas and head for 2013. (I totally had to fix that. It is going to take me a couple months to get used to typing 2013. And about the time I do I will throw in a random 1998 for a nice WTF moment. Happens every year).
Looking at my list, I think I’d have to say the thing that surprises me the most is my sock progress. I am still not quite used to not being primarily a sock knitter. One pair per month was an easy average, but you’ll note I’ve only completed four pair in 6 months time. And two of those have been finished in December! This is just odd. I don’t think I’ve taken this long to finish socks since I started knitting them! Of course I expect a slight bump in production since I will be knitting four pair minimum between January and March. With the Deranged Dad Socks in time out, this will bring me to 9 pair touched in 9 months time which is more what I was expecting, but I absolutely thought this would be the “given” and I’d struggle to finish other things. I finally filled out the list with 12 actual patterns but I won’t lie, I see at least one or 2 of those remaining on the list (Jaywalker and Hoot & A Half, I’m lookin’ at you) being replaced with other patterns before the end of June, but this doesn’t come as any big surprise. What sounds like a good idea today might be completely boring by the time I’m ready to knit something new next week. I’m just hoping that I will gain sufficient motivation from the four fabulous skeins of Indigodragonfly yarn I’ve chosen for my OWL project to get through those without changing anything around.
The hats and scarves portions of my list are the next big surprises. As in I can’t believe I’ve knocked out everything (or almost everything) that was on the original list. These are not things I’d have considered “common” knits for me so to have knit 6 of the 7 hats (with the last one planned for January) I started with and two more that I’ve added (oh and a third about to come), I’m kinda saying WOW here. The scarves and shawls are equally surprising. There’s been a good lot of flexibility in that list, I think it’s grown some since the beginning, too, with one on the needles and one left to start, I’m happy with progress here, too.
The sweater list is something of a dilemma… This is the area where I seem to be wanting to make the most changes. Because every time I turn around I am finding another fabulous pattern or yarn I want to turn into something wonderful and cozy to wear. Never mind that my office hovers somewhere near the “Gates of Hell” setting on the thermostat, I want to knit all the sweaters. But I’m always hesitant to cast one one because they take a lot of time. And that cuts into how much I can finish for homework for the HPKCHC. Which, you may have noticed, has added a substantial number of “additions” to my crazy-seeming list of 34 that’s grown now to 47 and shows no signs of slowing down. But hey, I’m half way through my first year of participation in the Come Blog Along project an I’ve finished almost as many projects as I had on my list to begin with. That ain’t half bad! And I’ve used over 10 miles of yarn in the process. Which is just plain fun! Admittedly, I’ve bought even more than I’ve knit and that’s without accounting for the spinning so maybe I need to focus on using more than I buy in 2013, but I won’t set any stake in actually pulling that off. Yarn therapy is a good thing in my world. As long as their’s food on my table, gas in the car and a roof over my head, adding to the stash isn’t harming anyone, right?
So, now for the official tallies:
Socks (1 pair per month is my goal)
- Deranged Dad Socks (f/k/a Argyles for Dad) (Orgy of Greed gift) Cast on 7/10/12, on hiatus as of 8/13/12
Celtic Beaded SocksCompleted 8/9/12
- Baldersquash (Smart Ass Knitter’s World Domination Club June 2012 pattern) (No longer planned knitting for my OWL because they didn’t fit into my Doctor Who theme)
Plain socks for dad(another Orgy of Greed gift) Cast on 9/10/12, Finished 11/18/12 FINALLY Masonic LodgeCast on 11/18/12, finished 12/27/12. I would definitely knit this pattern again. Only next time I’ll actually read the pattern and not make it more complicated
- Jaywalker (still lovely but in danger of being replaced)
- Helen Socks (Being knit in Indigodragonfly MN Sock, Nice to Meet You Rose, Run For Your Life as part of my Winter OWL)
- Hoot & A Half (Owls are looking like an endangered species right now but we’ll see. I still love socks with googly eyes so they may get a late entry in the YOP or they may be replaced with something I want to knit when I finish my OWL)
- Lenore (Being knit in Indigodragonfly MCS Sock, TARDIS colorway for my Winter OWL) Cast on 12/29 as a swatch
Winding Road SocksCast on 8/16 Finished 9/9/12
- Terpander (Being knit in Indigodragonfly MCN in Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey Spacey Wacey Stuff colorway for my Winter OWL)
- Staked (Being knit in Indigodragonfly MCS in Don’t Blink for my Winter OWL. They may also become my first top down socks in 2+ years)
Camden Place CardiganStarted 10/9/12, Finished 11/11/12
- Ink (Formerly Emma’s Chemise)
- Elphaba the sequel (This may end up on the needles in February as an Order of the Phoenix mission entrant)
Shawls, Scarves, etc
Irish Hiking ScarfCast on 7/28/12, Completed 7/31/12. Whipoorwhill– Cast on 9/15/12 Finished 11/20/12
- Jagged Edge – Cast on 11/23/12, I’m still stalled out on this but I expect to make progress later this week when Mr.Me’s Christmas socks are finished. This should be my January Detention turn in
Ruffle Scarf for April (OoG)Cast on 11/17/12, Finished 11/18/12 Wingspan– Cast on 8/17/12 off 8/24/12 Boneyard– Cast on 7/21/12, off 8/15/12 Charlie Chevron Scarf– Cast on 9/12, Cast off 9/17 ClapotisCast on 7/8/12, off 7/25/12 Ruffle Scarf for JanesaCast on & Finished 11/18/12
Dead Fish Hat– Joey (OoG) Cast on 12/4/12, Finished 12/7/12
- Dead Fish Hat Maddy (OoG) (Planned homework knitting for January)
Dead Fish Hat Audra (OoG)Cast on 8/14/12, Off 8/17 Dead Fish Hat Onna (OoG)Cast on 10/26/12, Finished 10/27/12 Irish Hiking Hatfor Scottie Cast on 7/31, Finished 8/1 Turn A Squarefor Mr.Me (OoG) Cast on 11/12/12, Finished 11/13/12 Turn A Squarefor James (OoG) cast AND finished on 11/11/12 Space Princess Hatfor Zig Cast on 11/15/12 Finished 11/17/12
- Scatness Tam The yarn is dyed and waiting for January 1 when the new term starts!
Just To Prove My Insanity
- EBI The blanket square size requirement has been eliminated for the Winter House Cup Term so I may get some progress for easy coursework turn ins…
Tir Chonaillcast on 8/24, Finished 10/1/12 Ball SackCast on 7/12/12. Cast off 7/13/12 Tir Chonaill Trivet– Cast on 9/19, Cast off 9/20 Stocking Garters– Cast on 9/14, Finished 9/15 Nerwin/Batmeanie Caston 11/24/12, Finished 11/26/12 Modified Turn a SquareCast on 12/1/12 Finished 12/2/12 Cabled Square Hat Caston 12/2/12, Finished 12/3/12
Harry Potter House Cup Projects
Skull & Crossbones Dish ClothCast on 10/1/12, Finished 10/1/12 Granny Square Dish ClothCast on 10/8/12, Finished 10/8/12 Teeny Tiny SnowmenCast on 10/12/12, Finished 10/12/12 Winter Hiking HatCast on 11/29, Finished 11/30
Progress To Date:
Projects on the original list: 34
Projects on the list now: 47