So, it would appear that in the Knit.All.The.Things frenzy that was my birthday weekend, I failed to update my project list and progress on the same. Oh well. No excuses, I was just busy knitting all the things! And there was good progress in that regard. I finished not one but TWO of my 8 socks for my Winter term OWL which puts me, at least temporarily, ahead of schedule! Sock #3, otherwise known as the mate to Lenore #1 is technically OTN already but I’m only a row or 2 into the cast on with it so it hardly counts.
The crazy-long hat that got away from me came off the needles Thursday morning, giant pompom and all. OK, maybe giant is pushing it a little. It’s a good sized pompom and it’s presence at the end of the hat makes me quite happy, but giant is probably a bit too grand a designation. At any rate, the hat is really quite entertaining. My one and done beanie turned into a 350 yard, nearly three foot long week of knitting but it cracks me up every time I look at it. I even thought to write down what I did so I can duplicate it. Which means I might just share it here, too…
In other news, I finally cast on my Scatness Tam for good. And I’ve made a good bit of progress. Hoping one or two more nights of knitting will have it finished, too. The thing is, as much as I love the pattern, I have NEVER had so many dropped stitches in a single piece of knitting EVER! It’s crazy.I am picking up dropped stitches every couple of rows! I think this is because it’s just a little bit too much to contain on a single 16″ needle and I could probably have saved a good lot of frustration by transferring it to a needle or Magic Looping it on a single long one, but I haven’t so I just keep picking up the drops. The good news is I started the decreases for the crown shaping over Downton Abbey last night so the issue should have resolved itself by now or at least will with the next row up. I think the crown should be pretty quick to finish, then there’s the I-Cord bind off that Kate loves so much. I agree that it gives a beautiful finished edge so I’m going with it but man is it ever fiddly. Oh well, it’ll be worth it in the end, right?
Once the Tam is finish I suspect the list is going to grow again. That will be my last bit of classwork for the first month of the winter term, but I think I’m going to do a pair of fingerless mitts for the Head Mistresses Challenge. They are not on the list. So it will grow again. OY
So, now for the official tallies:
Socks (1 pair per month is my goal)
- Deranged Dad Socks (f/k/a Argyles for Dad) Cast on 7/10/12, on hiatus as of 8/13/12
Celtic Beaded SocksCompleted 8/9/12
- Baldersquash (Smart Ass Knitter’s World Domination Club June 2012 pattern)
Plain socks for dad(another Orgy of Greed gift) Cast on 9/10/12, Finished 11/18/12 Masonic LodgeCast on 11/18/12, finished 12/27/12.
- Jaywalker (still lovely but in danger of being replaced)
- Helen Socks Cast on 12/29/12
- Hoot & A Half Still haven’t decided if this one’s staying put or going to make way for a different pattern
- Lenore Cast on 12/29 sock #1 is done, finished on Thursday, sock #1 is technically OTN but only just.
Winding Road SocksCast on 8/16 Finished 9/9/12
- Terpander Cast on 12/29/12
- Staked Cast on 12/30/12 Finished sock #1 on Friday. Or maybe it was Thrusday. I don’t remember. But I do LOVE the sock! As scary as the pattern is, it’s totally worth the effort! And it does become relatively easy to follow after the first couple of repeats.
Camden Place CardiganStarted 10/9/12, Finished 11/11/12
- Ink (Formerly Emma’s Chemise)
- Elphaba the sequel
Shawls, Scarves, etc
Irish Hiking ScarfCast on 7/28/12, Completed 7/31/12. Whipoorwhill– Cast on 9/15/12 Finished 11/20/12 Jagged Edge– Cast on 11/23/12, Finished 1/4/13
Ruffle Scarf for April (OoG)Cast on 11/17/12, Finished 11/18/12 Wingspan– Cast on 8/17/12 off 8/24/12 Boneyard– Cast on 7/21/12, off 8/15/12 Charlie Chevron Scarf– Cast on 9/12, Cast off 9/17 ClapotisCast on 7/8/12, off 7/25/12 Ruffle Scarf for JanesaCast on & Finished 11/18/12
Dead Fish Hat– Joey (OoG) Cast on 12/4/12, Finished 12/7/12 Dead Fish HatMaddy (OoG) Cast on 1/5/13, Finished 1/6/13 Dead Fish Hat Audra (OoG)Cast on 8/14/12, Off 8/17 Dead Fish Hat Onna (OoG)Cast on 10/26/12, Finished 10/27/12 Irish Hiking Hatfor Scottie Cast on 7/31, Finished 8/1 Turn A Squarefor Mr.Me (OoG) Cast on 11/12/12, Finished 11/13/12 Turn A Squarefor James (OoG) cast AND finished on 11/11/12 Space Princess Hatfor Zig Cast on 11/15/12 Finished 11/17/12
- Scatness Tam Finally got this on the needles with a 2nd cast on on Friday. I checked it several times to make sure I didn’t twist it this time! Now if I could just stop dropping stitches!
Just To Prove My Insanity
- EBI No progress to report
Tir Chonaillcast on 8/24, Finished 10/1/12 Ball SackCast on 7/12/12. Cast off 7/13/12 Tir Chonaill Trivet– Cast on 9/19, Cast off 9/20 Stocking Garters– Cast on 9/14, Finished 9/15 Nerwin/BatmeanieCast on 11/24/12, Finished 11/26/12 Modified Turn a SquareCast on 12/1/12 Finished 12/2/12 Cabled Square HatCast on 12/2/12, Finished 12/3/12
- Slytherin House Colors Hat Cast on 1/12/13, Finished 1/17/13
Harry Potter House Cup Projects
Skull & Crossbones Dish ClothCast on 10/1/12, Finished 10/1/12 Granny Square Dish ClothCast on 10/8/12, Finished 10/8/12 Teeny Tiny SnowmenCast on 10/12/12, Finished 10/12/12 Winter Hiking HatCast on 11/29, Finished 11/30 Shark MittensCast on 1/4/13, Finished 1/5/13 Come TogetherCast on 1/11/13, Finished 1/12/13
- Merlia Scarf This is going to be part of my Winter Term Broom
- Ahoy Princess Beret The other part of my Broom
Progress To Date:
Projects on the original list: 34
Projects on the list now: 52