Still havn’t kicked that blogging slump, have I? So if you’re still hanging on and reading, thanks! I’m still amazed that you do and at some point I really do want to dust off all the shelves, clear the cobwebs from the corner and get back to more regular posting but right now it’s a fine balance I’ve struck between sanity and not and knitting seems to be more important than internet rambling in maintaining my sanity so it’s what I do.
A couple of weeks back I made the trip down to St. Charles IL to meet up with another Raveler at SOAR for a bit of shopping and shenanigans. The trip, while less fibery-fruitful in stash enhancement, did increase my itch to follow through on one of this year’s stated goals to take some classes and expand my spinning skill set. I’d LOVE to dive in and do a full out crazy like SOAR or Madrona but my inner introvert and budget say that would probably be pushing things a bit far. Instead I’m waiting for something a little smaller and closer to home. There’s a small retreat an hour away in February that’s inexpensive enough for hubby to not look at me like I’ve lost my mind and me to get my feet wet. I just need to class list to post so I can register.
In the mean time, I’ve been exploring fibers. Doing my own bit of a breed study with the different types in my stash, spinning small samples at the same ratio and tension, same ply structure, etc, to see how the different fibers respond. So far I think I’ve done 7 and have 4 or 5 to go that are straight fiber, then a hand full of blends. It’s positively fascinating to see how different the samples turn out so I’m looking forward to the blends!
Then there’s the knitting. I’m always knitting something and as seems to be typical lately, I’m knitting too many things at one time! Still plugging away at my Ursula Cardigan (This term’s OWL in the house cup). Colorwork is done, 2 holes have been cut in my knitting and I’m working away on the sleeves. Steeking is becoming less intimidating now, but this being my first sweater knit with my own yarn, it took on an extra level of nerves! But I’m getting through it and I think I’ll be ok to finish it before the end of the month and claim all the points for Slytherin Glory! I’ve also added a couple of rows to my Blanket of Epic Insanity this term. It’s starting to look like maybe it will be a real blanket some day and this is very exciting! I think maybe I could do a post to help dust the shelves on that so I think I won’t say more for now. And then there are the extras. A tea cozy on the needles, some fingerless mitts in the knitwear rotation and a cowl also on the needles. Cuz you know, what fun is life if you don’t have too many projects in progress, right? At least my WIPs pile has gone down. Just that one shawl and those socks over there in that cobwebby corner. I think maybe I shouldn’t disturb those just yet. Soon, maybe, but not yet.
Carry Overs from my first YoP:
Movie Socks– Cast on in 2013, Frogged 8/11/13
- Elphaba the Sequel
Semele– Cast on 5/27/13, Finished 8/1/13.
- Epic Blanket of Insanity GROWTH HAS OCCURRED. 42 squares total since late September! It’s getting bigger!
New and Exciting
- Derecho– Cast on 7/1/13, still waiting. Bigger and better (read more points) projects On the Needles at the moment
- Sock Monkey for O- Cast on 9/3/13, Finished 10/18/2013. Took far longer than expected but he’s DONE
- Parlor Cat for A Making the change of lovie official.
- Circle Line for G
- Circle Line for S
- Deep Blue Sea for Orville– Oh dear. I best hope he doesn’t move soon because his last day’s Friday and, well, I still haven’t started them.
- Deep Blue Sea for Jennnnnnnnifer
- Ursula Cardigan– Cast on 9/4/13 Working on the sleeves then the button band to go!
Peerie Flooers HatCast on 7/28/13, Finished 8/4/13 Peerie Floores Mittens– Cast on 8/6/13, Finished 8/17
- Stella Luna
Bring Out Your Dead (WIPs)
Deranged Dad Socks.Started August 2012, Frogged 8/11/13,
aster Egg On Acid Socks-DOA as of August, 2013.
- Fishnet Socks- back in time out I guess.
Knitting Basket Socks #1– FROGGED 8/11/13. Clog Socks– Frogged Car Socks– Frogged 8/11/13 Merlia Scarf– Cast on January 2013, Finished 8/17/13. Shawl Test Knit– Frogged 8/11/13. Lambton–Frogged 8/6/13
You knew the list would grow. Heck, I knew the list would grow. I’m trying to take the starts a little slower, work on the long-term projects, don’t start other things I can’t finish in a night or two. So far so good.
- Enterlac Ball- Cast on & Finished 9/1/13
- Dish Cloth Extravaganza- 2 done, more to come
- Pumpkin Hat #1– Cast on 10/5/13, Finished 10/6/13
- Pumpkin Hat #2– Cast on 10/8/13, Finished 10/9/13
- Packer Mitts- Cast on 10/22/13, Finished 11/2/13
- Sheep Carousel Cozy- Cast on 11/10/13, Finished
- Game Day Cowl- Cast on 11/3/13 Saw tooth edge, garter stitch from there, not fancy but soft, warm and should keep me cozy at Packer Games this winter!
Original list: 18 projects
Full Disclosure List: 30 Projects
Current list: 37