That you aren’t even sure where the beginning is anymore?
This is how I’ve been feeling the last few… I dunno, Months? 2013 proved a challenging year. Not necessarily bad, mind you, but not exactly fabulous either. Work brought about many MANY challenges, the departure of several staff members (some quite long term ones, too) which meant many NEW staff members, an ever changing balance in my role and just a lot of crazy times. I haven’t taken my Friday off in 2 months time and that starts to wear me down, too. So by the time I get home, I’m pretty well done. Ideas that are born of day time mind wandering are long forgotten by the time dinner’s over and cleaned up or the energy just isn’t there to put them to paper, so to speak. So I knit. The knitting is the one thing that definitely DID NOT suffer during 2013. More an more it has become my solace. It’s my way to unwind and calm my mind after the day is done.
And if I don’t knit I spin. I’m sure this isn’t news to anyone if you’ve been reading for a while. And 2013 was an exciting year in that regard. It was the year my third wheel came to be. It was the year I ventured into preparing my own wool. It was the year I created my own fiber preparation space in the basement- part dye kitchen, party fleece washing, all kinds of fun for me! And it was a year of seeds being planted. Those seeds will be cultivated in 2014, some early (Like the drum carder I’ll be picking up in 2 weeks), some will take a bit longer (Like the sheep I plan to get in spring- hence learning to process my own fiber and the drum carder happening). And the knitting ideas continue to come at me faster than I can get things off the needles! Again, I doubt this surprises anyone!
I’ve also started pondering ideas for ways to make my fiber habits at least on some level self sustaining. I haven’t yet managed it, but I’d like to dabble a bit in design. I have a sock pattern I drafted up a few years back that could stand to be written up and tested. I have a fingerless mitt pattern I plotted out months ago that still hasn’t been sampled. Self-publishing patterns through Ravelry is easy enough to do if one could get properly motivated. I need to find that motivation.
It turns out I also rather enjoy making stitch marker sets. And what knitter doesn’t need those, right? I even have a potential outlet for selling them. I need to get at figuring out how much it costs me to make and what the market is willing to spend on such things. I like stitch markers in sets of 5- one unique to mark the beginning of the round (I knit in the round a LOT) and 4 similar markers for things like raglan increases and decreases. Can you tell more sweaters have been on my mind? There might be a survey post on this coming soon. Or feel free to share your thoughts in comments…
I want to get back to regular posts with the Year of Projects group, too. I continue to chip away at my list, I just need to take the time to celebrate the finishes and lament the challenges (Like the Octopus sweater- 5 sleeve caps and three sleeves to end up with a single finished cardigan for a standard two armed human being… SERIOUSLY????) So I guess you can say I’m hoping for big things in 2014. The odometer is about to roll another decade (I turn 40 in 8 days!!!) and I’m hoping to kick it off as my best one yet so I figure I should get at this stuff and start with the easy stuff- a YOP update!
Carry Overs from my first YoP:
Movie Socks– Cast on in 2013, Frogged 8/11/13
- Elphaba the Sequel
Semele– Cast on 5/27/13, Finished 8/1/13.
- Epic Blanket of Insanity back to lingering quietly in the corner but I got some great new sock yarn bits in a swap package and have plans for future growth.
New and Exciting
- Derecho– Cast on 7/1/13, Every so often it grows a bit. I suspect more growth may occur as the winter drags on and I need bright in my life
Sock Monkeyfor O- Cast on 9/3/13, Finished 10/18/2013. Took far longer than expected but he’s DONE
- Parlor Cat for A Didn’t so much get to making this for Christmas. Maybe for her birthday in April
Circle Line for GTurns out this probably isn’t going to happen. And I’m OK with that Circle Line for SSee #4
- Deep Blue Sea for Orville– Oh dear. I best hope he doesn’t move soon because his last day’s Friday and, well, I still haven’t started them.
- Deep Blue Sea for Jennnnnnnnifer (These could be looking sketchy, too. The more she bugs me, the less I want to knit them. I am bad. I know)
Ursula Cardigan–Cast on 9/4/13 FINISHED 11/27/13!!! This would be the octopus sweater of much frustration but thank God for Shetland yarn that held up through multiple attempts! I spun it, dyed it, knit it, steeked it and SURVIVED IT! Peerie Flooers HatCast on 7/28/13, Finished 8/4/13 Peerie Floores Mittens– Cast on 8/6/13, Finished 8/17
- Stella Luna
LoniceraCast on somewhere around 12/4.13 and finished 12/25. Not sure it’s my color but it’ll make a great Christmas gift for someone in 2014!
Bring Out Your Dead (WIPs)
Deranged Dad Socks.Started August 2012, Frogged 8/11/13,
aster Egg On Acid Socks-DOA as of August, 2013.
- Fishnet Socks- back in time out I guess.
Knitting Basket Socks #1– FROGGED 8/11/13. Clog Socks– Frogged Car Socks– Frogged 8/11/13 Merlia Scarf– Cast on January 2013, Finished 8/17/13. Shawl Test Knit– Frogged 8/11/13. Lambton–Frogged 8/6/13
You knew the list would grow. Heck, I knew the list would grow. I’m trying to take the starts a little slower, work on the long-term projects, don’t start other things I can’t finish in a night or two. So far so good.
Enterlac Ball-Cast on & Finished 9/1/13
- Dish Cloth Extravaganza- 2 done, more to come
Pumpkin Hat #1– Cast on 10/5/13, Finished 10/6/13 Pumpkin Hat #2–Cast on 10/8/13, Finished 10/9/13 Packer Mitts-Cast on 10/22/13, Finished 11/2/13 Sheep Carousel Cozy– Cast on 11/10/13, Finished 11/15/13 Game Day Cowl– Cast on 11/3/13 Finished around 12/4 Saw tooth edge, garter stitch from there, not fancy but soft, warm and should keep me cozy at Packer Games this winter! Just as soon as I finish weving in the ends. And, you know, Packer season starts up again.
- 2010 Advent Calendar Scarf– Cast on 12/1- This one turned into a huge Harry Potter House Cup project. It’s part of a grand plan to knit through 1800 yards and spin another 1800 to replace it. By the end of March. Clearly I’m not sane. But hey, I am 2/3 finished already
- Color Affection– yeah, I caved. See note on #8. OY. Hoping to start this later this month or early February at the latest.
- Custom Fit Sweater
- Vanilla Rib socks- I haven’t knit socks in ages. It seems weird. So on the way to the play off game last week, I cast on a new pair. Just a simple 4×1 rib, but in yarn I’ve spun myself (a first!) Cast on 1/5/13
- Semele for Niece the Elder- cuz this is what happens when you can’t think of anything to knit so you give yarn and choices.
- Wedding Shawl for Niece the Younger See #13
Original list: 18 projects
Full Disclosure List: 30 Projects
Current list: 40
Frogged/Eliminated : 10